Brief instructions for using:
1) The right hand side chat box and the chat you see when you click the "chat" tab are exactly the same. Clicking the "chat" tab just gives you a full page view.
2) In the top right of the chat box you'll see a drop down box containing "online" and "offline". Choosing "offline" blocks other users from Instant Messaging you (in case you don't have the time / inclination to chat) .
3) To make a comment in the chat room, simply type next to the yellow smiley and hit enter. If you don't see the yellow smiley it will say "Sign in to chat". Just change your status from "offline" to "online" from the drop down box at the top of chat.
4) The default chat room is called "main". You'll see this in a drop down box or tab just beneath the red chat header. "Main" is a public chat room that anyone logged in can participate in or read.
5) Clicking on a member's profile pic just below the search box let's you instant message them. It will open up a new chat room next to "main" (or beneath it in the drop down list). You can then toggle between this private chat room (that only you and the member you choose to message can see) and the main, public chat room.
6) Open as many private chat rooms as you like by clicking on a member's profile pic and clicking "Instant Message". This assumes you're a good multi-tasker of course!
7) Because there is a limited amount of space for member's profile pics, you can click the "more" link to refresh the list and see other users online. However, if there is someone specific you want to message, just type their profile name into the search box. If they are online, their profile pic will appear and you can instant message them.
8) Chat is impossible to moderate so please - no profanity, no name-calling or insults :-)